- What is ECDL?
- Can I complete a module in a different location from where I started?
- Do I have to undergo training prior to taking the tests?
- How are candidates tested?
- How do I get a copy of the ECDL Syllabus?
- How much do the tests cost?
- If I fail a module, when can I re-sit the test?
- Is training compulsory?
- What amount of training is required to prepare for ECDL examinations?
- What are Diagnostic Tests?
- What are Recommended Profiles?
- What is an ECDL Profile Certificate?
- What is ECDL Profile?
- What is ICDL?
- What is the grade required to successfully pass each module?
- When can I start ECDL?
- Where can I complete my ECDL training tests?
- "How are candidates tested?"
Candidates are tested in examination conditions supervised by an ECDL Accredited Tester. Test centres in Africa use automated test systems which automatically assess the candidates performance on completion of each test. Automated Tests provide immediate feedback to both the centre and the candidate. Candidates must complete one test for each module.
- "How do I get a copy of the ECDL Syllabus?"
The syllabus for every ECDL module is available for download from the Modules section of this site.
- "Is training compulsory?"
No. If you believe that you already have appropriate IT skills and are sufficiently experienced, candidates can register i.e. purchase a Candidate Registration Number (CRN) and start to take the certification tests. Everyone will have various levels of knowledge and experience and many want to undergo training for the areas where their background may be inadequate. It is recommended that candidates review the ECDL syllabus for more detailed information on the modules and the knowledge needed to pass them.
- "What are Diagnostic Tests?"
Diagnostic Tests allow a candidate to go through the testing environment in the same setting as the certification test and assess a candidate's understanding of the particular ECDL module. We recommend a passing rate of 80%+ for the diagnostic test before a candidate is encouraged to sit for the actual ECDL certification test.
- "What are Recommended Profiles?"
ECDL Foundation recommends certain combinations of modules as globally applicable standards in digital proficiency, these are the ECDL Base, ECDL Standard and ECDL Advanced recommended profiles.
- "What is ECDL Profile?"
ECDL Profile is the name of ECDL's most flexible programme. It allows you to choose the module combinations best suited to your needs and interests. For more see ECDL Profile.
- "When can I start ECDL?"
You can start ECDL at any time by contacting any of the ECDL Accredited Test Centres near you. You are encouraged to undertake training at an ECDL Centre if required. Once you are ready, you may take a test for any of the modules in any order you choose. This may be subject to training or testing schedules set by each test centre.